The Petition we filed with the School Committee will be heard on November 27, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
Please come early and sign up to speak. This is an important hearing - the first ever to be held in Newton.
The text of the Notice of the hearing sent out by the Clerk of the Town of Town of Newton follows:
A Public Hearing on Tuesday November 27th @ 6:30 pm at the
Auditorium, Newton South High School 140 Brandeis Road
to hear from all members of the public pursuant to the following request:
We the undersigned, petition the Newton School Committee to take the following actions:
1. Adopt a policy of total transparency regarding curriculum concerning history, social studies,
geography, and any and all topics related to the conflicts in the Middle East and to world religions.
Allow the public immediate and continual access to all teaching materials used and discussed in
these areas including, but not limited to text books, hand‐outs, assignments, films, power‐point
presentations, speakers, internet resources, and workshops;
2. Vet all teaching materials and approaches concerning the above topics using a panel of scholars,
historians and educators.
3. Immediately cease all teaching on these topics until such time as properly vetted, unbiased
materials can be identified.
4. Contact students by official mail to explain how some of the materials they were taught qualify as
biased and propaganda and were not explained as such to the students, and apologize for these
5. Convene an all‐school seminar on “the new anti‐Semitism” which makes of the Jewish state, “the
Jew among the nations” with special workshops for teachers and students. The new anti‐Semitism
has been widely studied and consists at base of the treatment of Israel in ways no other nation
state is treated;
6. Terminate Superintendent David Fleishman.
All members of the public will be allowed to speak for up to 3 minutes.